Wednesday, September 14, 2011

The Cure of the Cake


I recently had a series of heartaches.  Talk about when it rains, it pours, like a tropical depression in the ITCZ (Inter-Tropical Convergence Zone). 

I’d imagined myself like Ally McBeal (incidentally we are both waif-like and kooky and thrives in the serious corporate world), with radical thoughts that my chest is the bullseye target board of flying arrows.  Uh-oh, that hurts!  (Vonda Shepard sings in the background). 
Ally McBeal, the pretty protagonist in the hit TV adult comedy series from 1997-2002

Uh-oh! My imaginary chest hit by arrows!
But life goes on.  I have realized that there’s no quota of heartaches.  One, two, or three heartaches do not spare you from future ones.   As long as people are living, we are bound to get hurt, sometime, somewhere.  Scientifically speaking, only non-living things do not get hurt.  

The good news is….(drum roll…! trumpet fare….!) -- time heals all wounds.  Yeah, yeah right…you probably heard that for the nth time from your grandparents, parents, parents of your friends, your friends, and even from yourself when you advise other people.  Yes, it’s an ancient adage, but haven’t you noticed that its efficacy is eternal?  Albeit the recovery period varies from one person to another.  There are personalities that would cry a river while there are others that would only cry a bucket, dry their tears and then bounce back soon. 

As for me, I’m thankful that my personality is like a rubber ball. Yes I drop, but I bounce back!  Probably my positive disposition helps.  And yes, other things also help, like cake!

It has been scientifically proven that intake of sweet foods increases the level of endorphins, the hormone that’s responsible for the feeling of happiness.  It’s that something unseen that makes you feel alright, unclogs that block in your chest and calms your breathing in a breeze.

I was born with a sweet tooth, but I notice that each time I feel depressed, my sweet intake increases.   So, if my usual chocolate indulgement is just one bar a week, I would consume one chocolate bar each day. If my regular cake treat is just a slice on a weekly basis, then I could finish two slices on one sitting.  

Of all the sweet things, cake is my favorite one when I’m sad.  Aside from the sweet taste, cake looks pretty and colorful and artsy, and it has a sweet message written on it that cheers you up!
The Sweethings on Earth cake reminds me of the sweet things in life despite odds

My theory when I eat cake during depression-- I’m more courageous when I’m down and low, because I could brave the danger of diabetes and threat of weight gain (or probably I am just confident of my fast metabolism).  I also noticed that my face is prettier when I’m sad.  Why, my sad eyes become more soulful and my pensive expression makes my face angelic.  There goes my positivism in the midst of chaos! :)))

Thanks to all sweet things, like my adorable cake, and to the sweet people who care for me who serve as my life support system, they give me a reason for living.  Life is beautiful.  So be a beautiful person inside and out while you are living.  Be a blessing to others.
Sweethings on Earth cake is vanilla cake with white icing, bright yellow borders, pink and red flowers and green leaves

I’m sure, in a few weeks, I’ll be alright. I’ll be bouncing back like a rubber ball.  As a matter of fact, the cure of the cake is kicking in… You have to excuse me… I’m ending this article.  Gotta reach for my next slice of cake. :)

Another slice of this not overly sweet cake

Save the sweet flower for last
 :)

No comments:

Post a Comment