Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Charmed by Balenciaga Florabotanica Perfume


Etymology

Florabotanica- from Latin Flora, Roman Goddess of flowers and from Latin Botanica,  meaning botany or the scientific study of plants. 

As for me, I guess if I’d trace the origin, it all started with my penchant for vampire novels.  I especially love the movie versions.  First was Bram Stoker’s Dracula (played by Keanu Reeves and Winona Ryder), then Anne Rice’s Interview with the Vampire (played by Tom Cruise, Christian Slater and the young Kirsten Dunst).  Then of recent, it was Stephenie Meyer's Twilight series (immortalized by K-Stew and R-Pattz, who else?!).  

Edward and Bella Cullen with daughter, Renesmee, in Breaking Dawn Part 2

When the Twilight saga ended in Breaking Dawn Part 2, Kristen Stewart was endorsing Balenciaga Florabotanica perfume.  Well, I wanted a share of Bella’s sillage long after the saga has ended.

Kristen Stewart admits during an interview that she is awkward endorsing a perfume product because she is not used to wearing one

I tried to purchase Florabotanica online, unfortunately, Balenciaga, Nordstrom and other stores do not ship the fragrance to the Philippines.  A few units are available in Amazon but I doubt the quality and the online sellers, and the shipping charge is huge.  I finally decided to buy from the Balenciaga store outlet in the Philippines which is located in Greenbelt 5.  At least I’m assured of the quality and authenticity of the perfume.  I first called up the store and requested the staff to call me when Florabotanica arrives.  After a week, a guy from Balenciaga Greenbelt 5 sent me a text message saying Florabotanica is already available.

So, the next day I went to Greenbelt 5.  Balenciaga store is located at the ground floor, beside Fendi and a little in front of TWG Tea Company.  Since I already knew what I wanted, it did not take me long to stay in the store.   The store assistant sprayed a couple of spritzes of Florabotanica on my wrist, the sillage filled the air, and I was thankful I liked the scent.  

The Florabotanica surrounded by Balenciaga Paris perfume bottles in Balenciaga Greenbelt 5


I purchased the 100ml bottle which costs Php7,198.  The 50ml bottle costs over Php5,000.  I got the bigger bottle because of the savings.  The Php7,198 price is still cheaper compared to buying a hundred ml bottle online, considering the shipping charge and import tax that I’d have needed to pay.

Product Review:  Balenciaga Florabotanica Perfume

Creators:
Balenciaga, in collaboration with Coty, Prestige and International Flavors & Fragrances Inc. (IFF).   The composition was developed by perfumers of the house of IFF, Olivier Polge and Jean-Christophe Herault.

Notes:
Florabotanica is a floral-green combination.   The scent is composed of accords of mint, carnation, hybrid rose, caladium leaves, amber and vetiver.

Inspiration:
Florabotanica is an imaginative name which evokes the 18th century botanical gardens in which the most exotic and rarest plant species were displayed. 

Image Conveyed:
Florabotanica is an experimental rose that has the power to endlessly charm with a fresh floral facet and a mysterious green facet.  It was envisaged that the floral character of the fragrance is very seductive.  Flowers will not be just beautiful but also very dangerous.  I agree that this is the image that the wearer may evoke-- a no-nonsense beauty.  But I opine that this is a subtler image for Poison Ivy, if she ever wore a perfume.

Advertising Campaign:
Advertising campaign is decorated with 3 metal sculptures resembling Nicolas Ghesquière’s floral print (Ghesquiere was Balenciaga's creative director until they parted ways in November 2012).  Photos for the campaign were taken by Steven Meisel.  Advertising face is young actress Kristen Stewart. She is wearing a floral dress from Balenciaga Springtime RTW collection and holding her hands in the pockets.

Left: The advertising campaign poster   Right: The floral dress on the runway

Packaging:
The couture bottle is a modern attractive flacon with an oversize tube with bold lines which plunges into the floral perfume like a laboratory test tube looking to capture the secret essence of flowers.  Florabotanica is available in 30, 50 and 100ml EDP bottles.

The modern attractive flacon of Florabotanica

Sillage:
Not overpowering.  It only leaves a moderate trail except maybe if you spray a lot, which I don’t advise because floral-greens tend to have an overpowering smell on large amounts of spray.

Perfect Usage:
It’s perfect for daytime wear.  I only spray a few times on certain points-- neck, throat, bosom, nape, back of elbows, and knees (when I’m wearing skirt or dress) in the morning and the scent lasts throughout the day.  The scent tends to dissipate when evening comes.  So, I advise that you re-spray in the evening when you are going to be out for an event or dinner.

Extra Value:
It gives you an extra confidence that you smell like Kristen Stewart.





Credits:  
Many thanks to Ms. Bianca Natola of Balenciaga Greenbelt 5.



2 comments:

  1. Florabotanica sounds new. I’ll visit Greenbelt and search for this perfume.

    ~Pauline @Kallony

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. Florabotanica was introduced by Balenciaga in the last quarter of 2012. It was brought in the Philippines in Feb 2013 by Homme et Femme Co.. Yes, I'd say it's still a relatively new launch from Balenciaga. My own 100ml bottle is emptying soon. No regrets buying this fragrance, I always get compliments. Though after Florabotanica, I'll be wearing the latest fragrance from Guerlain, La Petite Robe Noire.

    ReplyDelete