Sunday, July 31, 2011

Royce’ Chocolates, A Sweeter Choice



In one of my strolls in the mall, I happen to glance at the chocolate counter of Royce’.  I first thought that Royce’ is an American or European brand.  The name sounds so, just like the Rolls Royce engine group of London.  My eyes scanned the line-up of beautifully-packaged boxes of chocolates inside the glass counter.  The classy chocolate boxes look expensive, and indeed they are expensive.  The prices range from P420 to as high as P4,200.  Oh, they have affordable chocolate bars at P250, their cheapest.  I did not buy anything yet, I just thought that if it is expensive, it must be of good quality.  And it’s perfectly understandable that the shipping costs of the imported chocolates are imputed in their selling price.











The next time that I approached Royce’s counter at Robinson’s Place, Manila, with some colleagues, I discover that the brand is from Japan.  The only good chocolate I know from Japan is Meiji.  Now, I’m getting curious about Royce’. 

One of Royce's friendly staff, they have good customer service.

 

We were drawn over by the two friendly guy staff who have good customer service.  They offered us free taste of the chocolates. I tried at least 4 variants, including my favorite, white chocolate. I think the chocolates have just-the-right sweetness and they are velvety smooth to the tongue.   
 









  




The Staff of Royce’ were kind enough to allow me to take photographs of their products.  They showed me everything that I could take photo of.  I flashed my camera generously.

Front: Nama chocolates in White, Au Lait, Champagne and Bitter, P580; Back: Nutty/Fruit Bars, P540;  Nutty & Fruit Bars, P1000
Left and middle: Nama chocolates in mild cacao and strawberry, P580


Middle: Petit Truffe in Praline, Orange and Kirsch, P450



Left middle:  White chocolate-coated roasted almonds, P420;  In sexagon box, marshmallow white chocolate, P420


Right: Royce Collection features the best of Royce' Chocolates, P4,200

I could not decide yet what to buy, what with the number of enticing chocolates before my sight.  I promised the Staff I will return soon, I got a copy of their 2011 product catalogue with prices in Philippine Peso.  


According to the catalogue, Royce’ started in 1983 in Sapporo where the crisp climate, sweet waters and clean air make Hokkaido an ideal place for confectionery making.  In the beginning, the mail order system was done manually.  When the factory started baking cookies, it emitted fragrant smell and the people were drawn over.  So tables were set up in front of the factory which started the company’s retail shops. Over the years, Royce’ has been making world-class quality chocolates with dedication.  Today, Royce’ chocolates are enjoyed by chocolate lovers, not just in Japan, but in many countries around the world.  I love history!  Especially if it’s as rich as chocolates.










I didn’t know that Royce’ was already distributed in Powerplant Mall since 2008.  Well, I have been away from Makati since 2007 when I transferred work in the heart of Manila.  There are only 5 outlets of Royce’ in the Philippines, aside from Level 1 Powerplant and Level 1 Robinson’s Place Manila, other outlets are located at Level 1 Greenbelt 5, Level 3 Trinoma and Level 1 Eastwood City.
 

Beside Royce'counter

Most of the time, I keep my promises.  So, after a week from my last visit, I returned to Royce’.  A girl staff was looking after the store, she was as accommodating as the guys were.   

I have decided to buy white chocolate, Royce has at least 5 kinds of white chocolate. So, I’m confused what to take.  The girl helped me decide by giving me an individual pack of the white Prafeuille Chocolat.  I was amazed at how the thin piece of white chocolate could hold the delicious syrup that tastes like champagne.  The box costs P540 and contains 30 pieces of 3 mm. thin white chocolate with syrup in the center.  Next, the girl gave me an individual pack of the Pure White Chocolate, then a piece of the milk chocolate.  The box costs P540 containing 40 pieces-- 20 pieces pure white and 20 pieces milk chocolate.  



















After some bouts with my fickle-mind, I finally chose the white chocolate with syrup.  

My choice

The box has 30 pieces of individual packs of thin white chocolate with syrup


Each square is only 3 mm. thin
Sweet bite of mine

Initially, the thin square of white chocolate is crisp and clean to the bite, then it instantly melts in your mouth into a fine delicate texture as the liqueur syrup bursts and cascades on your tongue.  I like the surprise effect of the syrup in my taste buds.    





I once heard in a TV culinary show that the best white chocolate in the world is found in Japan.  Maybe they were referring to Royce.  I do not regret my choice, the individually wrapped thin squares of white chocolate with syrup is a perfect perk-me-up treat.  They do not melt in room temperature.  I can bring a few individual packs in the office and indulge in its sweetness anytime of the day.  It’s always good to have something sweet around, especially when the day is so-so or difficult.  Sweets always give an adrenalin boost, cheering up your disposition.  Quality as good as Royce’ chocolate is worth the high price.  And come to think of it, it’s not expensive after all, the P540 worth of box contains 30 pieces which translates to only P18 per piece of world-class quality chocolate. 

Forrest Gump said that his momma always said, "Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get." I affirm it.  Life is full of surprises.  But when it comes to Royce', I know what I am going to get.  It wouldn't be a surprise if I will get another box of their chocolates.  I will try first all the white ones, then I’ll move to the milk, dark bitter, nutty and confectionery variants.  One by one. Or is it one buy one? :)




  

No comments:

Post a Comment