Monday, April 22, 2013

How To Compute Customs Duties And Import Taxes On Imported Items in the Philippines

You really want imported items because of their good quality, but you are anxious of the hefty customs duties and import taxes that you will have to pay before you could claim the item from the post office/customs.  There are instances that the total custom duties and import taxes are almost half of the price of your purchase and you get frustrated.

Here's an actual sample, for you to have an idea of the charges related to your imported purchase.

The Customs Declaration

Actual Sample:
I bought make-up products amounting to USD101.36 via online shopping.

Customs Duty:
Dutiable Value (amount of purchase)            USD101.36
* Php exchange rate                                                 40.840
Dutiable amount in Php                                      4,139.54
*duty rate on article (beauty product)                         7%
Customs duty tax                                          Php289.77
                                                                       ========                                    
-bear in mind that duty rate may vary on the type of articles, you may use 10% as max

Other Charges and Fees:
Customs Documentary Stamp            Php250  (fixed)
Import Processing Fee                        Php250 (fixed)
BIR Dicumentary Stamp                    Php  15 (fixed)
Other Fees and Charges                 Php515.00
                                                          ========
-bear in mind that you will pay total fixed charges of Php515 regardless of amount of dutiable value (for imported items totaling Php250,000.00 and below)

Expanded Value-Added Tax (EVAT):
Dutiable Value in Php                           4,139.54
Customs Duty                                           289.77
Other Charges and Fees                           515.00
                                                              4,944.31
*EVAT Rate                                               12%
EVAT                                             Php   593.32
                                                        =========
- bear in mind that the EVAT shall depend on the total dutiable value

SUMMARY:
Customs Duty                                                          Php289.77 (Variable)
EVAT                                                                            593.32  (Variable)
Other Fees and Charges                                                515.00  (fixed)
Total Customs Duties and Import Taxes          Php1,398.09
                                                                                   =======

Therefore, for the USD101.32 purchase, a total of Php1,398.09 customs duty/import taxes plus Php50.00 for post office handling, is paid.

Additional reminders:
1.  Dutiable value of Php2,000 and below is not subject to customs duty/import taxes.  Only Php50.00 for post office handling should be paid.  In some instances, EVAT is still collected.

2.  Total customs duties/import taxes on any imported items, should not exceed Php5,000.

The customs should give you a breakdown sheet of the charges/taxes they are collecting on your purchase.

Know the law and proper taxes, read R.A,. 9135 Section 1 as amended, R.A. 9135 Section 5, and TCCP Section 330.

Reminder:
I wrote this article based on my actual experience of paying import duties/taxes for my imported purchases claimed through a postal station.  This article is meant to share with, inform or assist those who have had or would be in the same circumstance.  In the process, I referred to certain trade laws I deemed applicable during the time of writing this article.   However, for clarification of specific rules and for concerns on more complicated import transactions, I advise that you take the initiative to communicate with the proper government agencies and their authorized officials.  Amendments, addenda or revisions of trade laws may occur anytime, so it is best to consult with the customs authorities.    

46 comments:

  1. I'm just wondering why government stamps and import processing fee are still needed to compute the EVAT???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CDS is fix..
      The IPF is depend on DV.. :) no compute for that.. Its given..

      Delete
  2. That's also my inner complaint. If you'd ask me, EVAT should only be charged on the dutiable value. It's like tax over tax collection if you add first the other fees and charges and the customs duty. But then, law is law and we have to abide. My tip, make sure that your dutiable value is Php2K or less to avoid taxes. For big-ticket purchases, just be ready for the huge taxes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi. I appreciate the comments from certain readers on the accuracy of the formula used.
    However, the formula I used here is the actual formula that has been used in the local customs. I have repeatedly purchased online and this has been the formula used by the collection officers in the local customs office of Mandaluyong and Pasig. They give a computation sheet of the taxes you are paying. All the items they collected from me were listed in the sheet.

    My question is--- have you tried purchasing online and claiming your parcels at a local customs office? Or are you just commenting based on write-ups from some customs websites? I advise that you go make actual purchase so you'd experience and verify for yourself the computation used by local customs offices.

    I hope this clear things up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Hi, Yes i have but that was a few years ago and i forgot about where i put the documents and all. Also i am planning on making an online purchase again and i tried searching on how much tax i would be paying bec its going to be a big amount around USD 2,500 and these are speakers from the US. Then I came across your article. So i tried comparing it w/ the one in the Customs site and I was a bit confused bec of the difference hence i made a message to you.

    Also what do you mean by ""2. Total customs duties/import taxes on any imported items, should not exceed Php5,000.""

    Does it mean that customs have a cap on the amount of taxes to be paid no matter the amount of the goods? Bec when i tried your calculations, my duties were about P25k.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I don't buy electronic equipments and gadgets online. I buy them from local outlets. This will save me from the hassle in case the item turns out to be defective or gets damaged and I need to use the warranty.
      If I were you, just buy from a local outlet instead of buying online. Saves you from the hefty shipping charges and you are assured of the quality since the store will test it first. And if you need to use the warranty, the store is not as far as overseas.

      Delete
  5. Hi! did I get it right? 2k below is not subject for Customs Duties and Taxes? And why the heck did they ask me to pay for my 1,900+ item I bought recently? If you have time, you can check my blog post about this:
    http://www.mommytots.com/2013/10/customs-duties-and-taxes.html

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi any suggestion po, my wife is from pampanga, im here in Us, i send her a parcel using usps. and mg 2 months na po wala prin xa nattanggap na notice from our local post office.. thankyou po sa suggestions..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. Were you able to keep the label number? USPS has an online service that tracks parcels in transit. That should give you the status of your parcel. If you want assurance right there and then, and it has been 2 months (that's over the standard number of days delivery for most couriers), I suggest you contact directly that USPS outlet that you've transacted with. They should know the status of the parcel, whether it has reached its destination or if a problem had occurred.

      Delete
  7. yes i was able to keep the label number. i tracked it using usps and it shows that my parcel is stil for customs clearance, i know that there is nothing inside my oarcel that is prohibited, there's no way that they can hold my parcel for a long time. because i was reminded by the usps what are the items that i cannot send in the philippines.

    i will try to contact the usps.. thankyou..

    ReplyDelete
  8. As I am getting lots of inquiries regarding specific rules on import duties and taxes, please refer to the reminder at the bottom of this article.

    Thank you for reading this blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If items sent were hand-me down stuff,not purchased and not brand new,how much tax needs to be paid?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The taxes are based on Dutiable Value, meaning there's cost or purchase involved. If that's a hand-me-down item, there's no dutiable value, so I don't think there should be taxes imposed on it.
      I'm not sure though if there are classification of items obtained through "donation" or hand-me-down that the customs might collect taxes from. Please contact the customs authorities.

      Delete
  10. Hi! San mo nabasa yung di subject to customs import duty etc pag below 2k dutiable value? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Evat =Dutiable Value (amount of purchase) *12% USD101.36(0.12)

    * Php exchange rate 40.840

    Dutiable amount in Php 4,139.54(0.12)

    eVAT = P496.744

    Same case for me today, even Duty RAte is 0%, still you have to pay the EVAT as per above computation. The pain is the EVAT which is 12%, the Duty Rate is depend on the items as listed in TARIFF FINDER. Which is raging only 0- 10%.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, do you know where can I find the Rates of Duty per item categories?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. I also tried looking for the rates of duty per item but nil, so I just used an approx 10% (I think this is a good average) for my sample computation. Maybe you could inquire with the local customs who collect the duties.

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. $600 is equivalent to Php25,800 using Php43 as exchange rate, using 10% as tariff rate and following the computation above, your total import tax duties would be Php5,696. Please make a handy excel format of the calculation above for easy computation given any amount

      Delete
  14. Thanks for sharing! Very useful! By the way, for customs clearance shipping visit: http://orientfreight.com.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi there. I really appreciate your article and it is so informative. However, I would like to acquire your opinion as to how much will be my duties if I bought $3 worth of necktie? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. $3 is equivalent to Php120+ only. No duties as it is below 2K.

      Delete
    2. I ordered Dermapen from china worth 1,900php/40usd but I had to pay 950php to get the parcel. I don't think implemented yung 2k below sa Las Pinas Post Office.

      Delete
  16. Hi! Thank you for posting this. If you don't mind me asking, how much do you think is the tax if I will buy a $20 earphones with free shipping? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. USD20 is approx Php880. That's less than 2K. No tax or duties to be paid. Just postal handling fee of Php50.

      Delete
    2. Hopefully the no tax under 2k is true; will let you know if they ask for more, I'm about to get my item worth 22usd ;)

      Delete
  17. Hi I was wondering, for items bought in bulk abroad from a reputable company that will provide an OR along with the package will the custom officer base the dutiable amount from the OR or will they base it from item type quantity and over estimate to come up with the dutiable amount? Im planning to purchase items for my online business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. The basis should be the Official Receipt or Invoice. Otherwise, they are not doing the right thing.

      Delete
  18. hello, just want to know if it matters if shipped via DHL and the declared amount is $25?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi.

    If it's shipped via DHL, then I believe it's a door-to-door shipping. Plus, the USD25 is only Php1,100. No taxes to be paid..

    ReplyDelete
  20. will there be any handling fee?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi, so i recently ordered a bag and a pair of pajama pants online worth $60.79 which was then computed to 2792.90 pesos... So how much do you think would the import tax be? I got it shipped to my house, how will I pay those taxes?How come when my mom sends me stuff from NY, there isn't import tax that I have to pay? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi.
      If the seller uses a door-to-door courier service (DHL, LBC, UPS, etc.) then you won't pay anymore taxes. Otherwise, even if your delivery address is your home, you will receive a notification from your local post office to pick up the parcel. There, you will pay taxes and handling fee.

      Delete
  22. Hi, I got a package from Korea. The amount is $40 but the custom collector charged me P543.00 . I have received packages from Korea twice and they usually charge me 50 or 100 pesos. But now, I was shocked when the guy texted me again that the exact charge was 543.00 . Is that even right? The item from the package are just Pepero's, ramens and a lipstick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi.
      I believe he charged you the doc stamps and import processing fee which shouldn't be the case. Next time, you should ask for the Official Receipt with breakdown of what you paid. Be sure you bring an old OR they issued for your previous purchase and show them they did not collect fees except for the postage handling fee of P100.

      Delete
  23. hi i have a parcel to be pick up on friday sa custom. may i ask if my parcel doesnt have any declared value and it was sen as personal belong's. just the airfreight lang 25.89 us. is there any chance na ma tax pa ko. or they'lljust release it and pay 50 php? they also told me na if the parcel was address at manila need daw talaga ipick up sa pasay. thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi.
      Taxes are always based on dutiable value, so if items are used or personal effects, there shouldn't be any taxes. The most would be the handling fee of P100 if you claim it from the post office.

      Delete
  24. Hi, I find this blog very informative. I just went to Philpost to pick up my EMS package from South Korea. They only computed for the EVAT & CDS. The postage handling increased from P50 to P100.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Maffet,
    Where did you found this information ?

    Is it sure that below 2000 php / $45 has no tax to be paid ?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi.

      Sure! 2K and below has no taxes yet. USD45 based on exchange rate of Php44+ is still below Php2k. They should just collect the handling fee of Php100.

      Delete
  26. thank you. the customs officer in cebu is asking so much more and not giving a receipt. i wondered how they computed the customs tax. i guess i now know customs tax x 10= money in the pocket.

    ReplyDelete