Sunday, April 21, 2013

Hua Mulan Sandalwood Hair Brush: Fragrant Brush, Fragrant Hair

I have been wanting a beautiful oriental hair brush, at least with the design similar to the ones being used by the elegant Chinese empresses in history and films.

Empress Zhangsun, Tang Dynasty 626-636

After one lunch-out with a friend, my feet brought me back to Hua Mulan's store in Megamall, wherein  I have bought  a goat's horn comb and a metal comb-and-mirror set before.

The metal comb-and-mirror set from Hua Mulan 

This time, I wanted a paddle hair brush, But I met this awesome sandalwood hair brush.  I have no idea what a sandalwood is, I just know that it's a type of wood, that's all.  Then, the sales girl introduced the sandalwood hair brush to me.  After several minutes of fickle mindedness, I decided to buy a sandalwood hair brush.

Front view of my sandalwood hair brush

Back view shows the valuable wood marks, also called "Bird's eye"

The hand-carved Hua Mulan logo 
What made me give up my desire on an oriental paddle hair brush?  Because the sandalwood hair brush has all the wonderful qualities a hair brush could possess.  Did you know that it takes a hundred years before a sandal tree reaches maturity?  And did you know that the sandal tree is the only tree in the world with a heart wood that emits fragrance?  Yes, it does.  When I smelled the hair brush, I was expecting a strong woodsy aroma, but to my surprise, I caught a waft of flowery scent-- a cross between jasmine, violet, rose even, with a hint of musk.  Now, the scent was enough spell to convince me to buy the sandalwood hair brush instead of the oriental paddle hair brush.

Hua Mulan's Sandalwood hair brush costs Php1,500.  Not bad.  Why, it's because the bristles are also made of the heart wood of the sandal tree.  Yes, both the handle and the bristles came from the sandal tree's heart wood.  Believe you me!  The bristles are not animal hair or synthetic fibers, the bristles are genuine sandalwood heart.  

The genuine sandalwood bristles

A magnified look at the sandalwood bristles

When I comb my hair, it's such a pleasure.  The brush glides on my hair easily and I noticed my hair gets more shiny as I brush it.  The creme de la creme benefit of it all--- my hair smells great with the use of the sandalwood hair brush from Hua Mulan.

Hair is shinier!
A tip for the moneyed madames, instead of buying a luxury hair powder like Guerlain's Or Imperiale Sublime Radiant Powder (which smells like violet on the hair) that costs over USD80, that would stretch to approximately Php8,000 (assuming free shipping on meeting the required purchase online, but including customs duty and other taxes), just buy Hua Mulan sandalwood hair brush, you will save Php6,500!

Guerlain's luxurious Or Imperiale Sublime Radiant Powder for face, body and hair

Hua Mulan sandalwood hair brush is one simple vanity that cheers up the mood.  This is gonna be added to my list of little favorite things.

Hua Mulan manufactures sandalwood combs and brushes with awareness of the conservation of the valuable sandal trees.


My Rating: 5 out of 5 combs

No comments:

Post a Comment